NYSC

My first day as an intern.

January 20, 2014 J. 0 Comments

..
Wow, how do I even begin to explain the experience without doing it grave injustice?

Like a good little intern I was in The Hospital car park at 7:40am. I sat in my car, listened to music and slowly tried to unwind myself. I was a whole bunch of nerves you see. I had heard some of the stories. Interns were at the very bottom of the food chain and therefore fair game. So I prepared myself. 

7:50am
I walked into the labs and met up with my supervisor. He took me round the Chemical Pathology and Immunology Labs where I would be working and introduced me to the staff. I tried to take in all the names and faces as quickly as I could.. Mrs. James (pretty woman with long braids), Allyson (blue shirt, blue tie), Christy or Camellia (petite lady behind the microscope), Alex (speaks Hausa) and Kevin (got me a chair)... Wait!! What's my supervisor's name again?
Shit!!!!!

8:00am
I was left to my own devices to get "acclimated" to the rhyme and rhythm of The Hospital Labs. 

8:10am
I had walked up and down The Lab corridor so many times that I'd become entertainment to the working cleaning crew and some loitering patients. I decided to go hide in the Immunology Labs. 

8:25am 
I am bored out of my skull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:00am
I finally met two other interns (David and Ayo). They had both started last year so I got the 411 from them. They both swore the job was interesting. I needed convincing.

9:30am
Mrs. James found my little hiding place and talked me back to the Chemical Pathology Labs. There I met people who were really friendly and finally, I relaxed. I was assigned to work with Allyson and Ayo. It was fun. Actually doing something was good. 

2:00pm
Why didn't I have breakfast again? And God these shoes were NOT made for standing for more than 2 hours. 

4:00pm
I abandoned ship. 


I learned three things about my new work place for the year: 
1. Mornings are slow and boring. The real action begins after 10am. 
2. Beware of evil interns who stop your spinning (centrifuge) blood samples to put theirs in. 
3. All male medical scientists are flirts. 


Yawn! I really need to sleep now. 
Juicy Raindr... (zzzzz)

You Might Also Like

0 comments: