NYSC

NYSC diaries: Community Development (CD)

January 30, 2014 J. 2 Comments

..
(I am pissed - Just a warning).

NYSC Crest
So I'm serving my fatherland. For one calendar year after my Higher Education I have to help my country by working full-time at a designated place of Primary Assignment (PPA) and give one day of the week to community development (CD). 

My PPA is The Hospital Labs where I am interning now. I was fortunate enough to get posted to where I wanted. Even more fortunate that I was accepted. 

Now my CD days are Thursdays and I chose to work with The Red Cross Society. I started only last week and it hasn't been worth mentioning. It was supposed to get better, or I assumed it would. It didn't. This week we were supposed to receive a lecture from the Director General (DG) himself at 8:00am. We were asked to be seated at the venue by 7:45am. The venue was at the NYSC headquarters on the 6th floor and there was no elevator, I had a bad feeling. 

My precognition was on point. Two hours later, still no word. And to make matters worse I got penalized for wearing black shoes rather than the appointed orange. Orange boots with khaki trousers, a khaki jacket and a white crested T-shirt - that's the uniform.

The Orange Boots!  >.<
The truth is I couldn't have worn the damn shoes if I wanted to because mine had been stolen during the orientation week and I wouldn't be given another. I didn't consider it a loss back then and I still don't consider it so now. 

I still don't think that I should have been queried. I mean, I came with the stupid cap, didn't i? And I was one of the few people actually wearing the crested t-shirt and khaki jacket.. Pooh, enough about that.

Anyway, there we all were. Sat in a small, crowded and stuffy hall with no air conditioning or lighting whatsoever, dressed in long pants, a cotton shirt and a jacket. The windows wouldn't open and even if they would, the temperature was in the 40's last I checked. Yeah, this is definitely torture. Some people actually started dozing off. How they could sleep in this heat I honestly do not know. 

At some point there was this awful smell in the air. The smell of mingling, sweaty bodies with no air circulation. Thankfully I had my faithful Chinese fan and 10ml perfume in my handbag. Saved my soul it did. Thank you Bvlgari!!! 

Five minutes before the DG's representative (he couldn't make it himself after all) and an entire news crew strutted into the hall, the lights and air conditioning were suddenly turned on. Spot lights, projectors and everything. This is what we Nigerians refer to as "eye service" - do your homework and find out what it means. 

The lecture lasted no more than 20 minutes. Apparently what they really needed was an audience and youths interested in an entrepreneur programme that had just been launched. Essentially they had wasted my time... and that of the other non-business oriented people there. After all this came the major battle to sign the attendance register (no attendance, no monthly allowance/salary). What I wouldn't give to switch my mini form with that of a 7ft Amazonian!!

*Sigh* But it's all done now. No one, NO ONE wants this to end more than I do. No one.

- J.

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. yikes!!! seems like i'm in for a treat when I start NYSC. Starting sometime this year. So not looking forward to that. Good luck cos it seems you need lots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely in for an experience then. Good luck too! I'll be keeping an eye out for your own stories if you ever decide to share! :D

    J.

    ReplyDelete